Popular Posts

Monday 26 August 2013

Core Beliefs

Everyone is on a journey called life. As we all know there are bumps and hard work to keep moving forward. The meaning of life to me is that we are to use each day to grow and change. If you stop growing, changing, and healing you are no longer living life to the fullest. You become stagnant. The goal: To be better tomorrow then we are today. Every day is an opportunity to understand ourselves more. To be self aware and to own our responsibilities, and roles. It starts with a choice to live differently; the choice to examine who we are and who we want to be. A choice to challenge your beliefs, and values. A choice to grow and heal no matter what. If you are not ready to accept that your not perfect, that life's not perfect and accept your part in your life you can't move forward. Once you have decided to commit to your growth and change you need to choose to look at your core belief system.

Core Beliefs

We all have core beliefs deeply rooted within ourselves, usually our core belief systems are planted within us at a very early age by our parents and important people in our lives ex: teachers, priests. Core beliefs are the way in which we see the world, ourselves, others, our past, present, and future to be. In turn they lay the path to how you live your life. Like anything else there are positive, healthy beliefs, and there is negative, unhealthy beliefs. Depending on the events of your past, the environment they occurred within, and your perception and experience of the situation as a whole, determine whether they are negative or positive beliefs. Both affect the way you think and experience life in the present moment. Positive core belief: I can do anything I put my mind to, Mistakes are opportunities to grow and learn. Negative core belief: I'm worthless, I'm unlovable. Identifying what the beliefs are that you ho;d can then open a door so that you can examine whether they are positive or negative, and this becomes awareness. Being aware of what your thinking, how it makes you feel and then how you act on in those emotions will be in  a positive or negative way. This allows you to start to choose to challenge these ways of thinking and choose to believe something different. This is one of those things that sounds easier then it is. This process takes time and determination as you will start to become aware of your behaviour and thinking after you have acted out. (screaming, yelling, avoiding.) And that's okay. This is totally normal, just be aware and then think about different ways it could have been. How you can you think, behave and act about this differently. Eventually as you keep doing this and becoming aware and challenging your thinking and behaviour you will be able to catch yourself half way through a trigger, then in the beginning, and then before it even happens and you get to choose to deal differently. Its when its still just a thought that you can choose to change the way you believe, behave, and the way you act it out. This is not and never is easy. It takes hard work and time so be patient and kind to yourself. There will be days that you feel discouraged and you can't see the changes and growth but trust me its happening through baby steps.Don't give up, it takes practice to retrain your thinking and responses. Through the years it took me to get here I kept journals and I read back through them sometimes and I find them interesting and helpful for me to remember how hard is was in the beginning of my healing journey and how it is for me now.
I am including some dates and entries from my journals to show you where I was and where I started to get to. And let me tell you it took me years to undo all that had been tainted inside of myself by others.

Sept. 15th, 2008 - I hope all the hard work I do towards personal growth and spiritual healing will rid me of such invasive thoughts, where I can bask in the peace and happiness I long to have.
Jan. 11, 2009 - I have become more aware of my thoughts that create old feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment